View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 12:16 PM
deruvian

Re: Keep cool

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
The heat shields are there for a reason.

No doubt many have taken them off because of the buzzing or rattling, or changed to a system that did not use shields. The -ive effects will be long term, mostly.

More radiated heat will get to the floor of the car, which will then heat up the interior. In summer, this will give your aircon much more to do.

A possible worse effect is long-term, this extra heat may harden and perish any wiring harnesses around the transmission tunnel, and possibly any other rubber parts in there.

Long term, as I say, problems from this would not show up for a while.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
I've spoken about the shields with an excellent local exhaust shop around here. Apparently, the shields can also have long-term negative effects by being there as well.

The shields essentially insulate the piping, which holds the heat between the shields and the pipe. This causes the piping to heat up more than it would if it didn't have the shields. Apparently, this can corrode and break down the piping.

I haven't had the car long enough to know if it's true, but everything else about them has always been very reputable.