View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004, 06:50 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Wink Low rpm rattle w/ fix...

Throughout my first month of ownership, I've noticed a low rpm rattle that sounded like it was coming from the exhaust area right below my seat. The noise would start when I first depressed the gas pedal and go away above 2000+ rpms...

As I had some free time this weekend, I decided to prop my car up and see what was amiss... I was horrified to find that one of the bolts that attached my exhaust to a hanger, in front of the secondary cat, was completely missing!

Not sure how it came to be missing in the first place, but I knew that the dealership I bought my car from had to replace both primary cats and O2 sensors. The mechanic must have ended up with an extra nut & bolt at the end of the install and probably just tossed them in ignorance!

Anyway, I found a strong nut & bolt in my toolbox and they worked just great. Afterwards, I took the car out for a spin and the rattle was gone!

-Chike

P.S. That's the second bolt I've found missing from my SVX - the other one was in the engine bay area and attached one of the fuel lines to a bracket - I noticed that one the day after I bought the car and replaced it right away!!!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)