Thread: exhaust setup!
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: exhaust setup!

Hello

There have been a lot of discussions of exhaust over the years. I think mainly because so many people are unsatisfied with the results of what they have tried when they replaced their stock setup. I too have been where you are now--unhappy. That low tone drone at a particular rpm as you cruise or that resonance that seems impossible to get rid of really detracts from an SVX.

It sounds like you want what I wanted and now have. Quiet and when you get on it it sounds like a caged beast instead of a weiner dog yapping as loud as it can. Unfortunately my system is completely different from yours so you would have to completely start over to accomplish it.

I have the OE exhaust manifolds with heat sheilds. From there I have all standard 2.25" pipe. Right after the oxygen sensors I have magnaflow 2.25" stainless "pre-cats." It's hard to find the part number for those and I don't have them off hand. They aren't listed in their universal parts catalog; they are in their application specific catalog. They are much more compact than their regular cats, even more than their spun cats, and they are economical. Where the pipes come together in the OE system with a big cat and resonator I have a magnaflow cross flow muffler which is kind of like an x pipe inside of a muffler. That means you have two in's and two outs. The 2.25" pipes go back to a 2.5" dynomax super turbo muffler on each side (the 2.5" mufflers are much higher flowing than the 2.25'). I used the OE exhaust tips.

That set up I can guarantee is quiet, resonance free, drone free, and sounds high performance when you are on the gas.