Thread: Hi! 2 things...
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2002, 10:24 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Engine RPM: Unless you keep it in 1st gear and floor the pedal, you won't see the engine it 7k RPM. Don't worry if you try it, the tranny will shift into 2nd even if you lever is in 1st.

Fuel Consumption: If lockup doesn't happen, it still won't cause the fuel mileage to go down below 15MPG. My trip thru the Blue Ridge Parkway was mostly hill terrain, in either 3rd or 4th gear, and I managed to pull 25MPG easily, even with some spirited driving. Is the check engine light coming on? If it is, pull the code. If it isn't, O2 sensors, MAF, dirty throttle body, those things can cause a pretty severe deterioration of fuel mileage. Are you idling the car a lot? Many short trips? Stuck in traffic a lot or lots of stop-and-go driving? Those will bring the MPG down as well, but from my experience, the only time when my MPG dropped below 15MPG was when my Duty Sol. C failed and caused a 50/50 lockup with the car. Even with a failed O2 sensor I have been able to do better than 15MPG, and this is from city driving with lots of stop signs and traffic lights.

VK