View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
The SRT-8 has a 6.1-liter engine with 425 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque. That's more power per liter than the Street Hemis that reigned supreme in the mid 1960 to early 1970s. Not to mention numerous upgrades in suspension to include Brembo brakes. And with the addition of cylinder displacement on demand giving you 20 mpg and a very good Mercedes derived 4-wheel drive system arriving sometime next year the Charger SRT-8 will be on a performance level unheard of in any car costing less than 100K. Gentlemen,styling is subjective and always has been. Basically, its beauty in the eye of the beholder. But numbers do not lie. And what is a fully loaded SRT-8 Charger with 4 wheel-drive going to cost? About 48k. I'm impressed.
Part of the problem, though, is that even with that much power, those cars are still not that quick. Weight and suspension and traction prevent any of the new Hemis from being competitive in acceleration when compared to cars with similar power ratings. Sure they're great for their class, say, family sedan for the Charger/300C, or pickup truck, or etc., but they give people the impression that they could keep up with sports cars like Corvettes and purpose-built quarter-milers like Camaros. This is unlike the Ford Lightning SVT, which has the power and the quickness to match and is often underestimated because it's a truck.

As for AWD, it can only do so much. Having AWD doesn't make a heavy Acura MDX a quicker, more responsive car; it simply makes it a heavy slug that's less likely to lose complete control.

I love the styling of the new Charger and especially the new 300C, but when I get that Hemi in a few years, I won't be deluded into thinking I can beat a Corvette off the line, which is the premise of many of the Dodge Hemi truck commercials and which is the belief of much of the general population.