View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 AM

Re: I think I'm Screwed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSEnterprise View Post
As I am driving the SVX home from the person I bought it AS IS from, we notice tranny problems.
Most economical remedy would probably be a junkyard transmission from some other model Subaru. Search here to see what will bolt-up. You'll also need to change the rear gear. I'd seek a diagnosis from a qualified mechanic before doing anything.

Quote:
The AC is also not blowing cold. We thought this was because of a leaky acumulator, but is actually due to faulty climate control electronics, as the freon is at normal pressure.
I'd start by getting a used climate control module off eBay.

Quote:
Early today, after driving for a bit, I see smoke coming from the engine bay.
Most likely an engine oil, transmission or power steering fluid leak getting onto the exhaust. If you're lucky it could be something as simple as a loose clamp or fitting.

Quote:
Five minutes ago, I try to start the car, and it stalls within 5 seconds. Repeated a few times to the same result
See how to check engine codes in the how-to documents.

Quote:
I have no more money, and with moth the engine and transmission problems, I couldn't hope to get more than a few hundred bucks for the SVX.
Your best bet will probably be to hunker down with the SVX and do what you have to do to make it road-worthy. If you scrap the SVX and buy some unknown something for one or two grand you're liable to be right back in the same situation. Buying any old used car is a crap shoot, especially when you just plunk down your dough and head for the horizon. No matter what you drive, it's gonna take money to acquire and keep on the road.

dcb