Thread: Rear Diff MOunt
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2002, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I decided to let AAMCO replace the mounts as the local Subaru shops really ticked me off and I didn't have the facilities to get the car high enough to remove the diff. They tried cutting the old mounts and pressing the new ones in without removing the diff. They were successful, but it looked messy.

If you have the diff out, then it's just a matter of finding the right sized bolt, washers, and cylinder to pull the old mounts out. The metal cylinder should be slightly larger diameter than the mount fittings on the subframe and a bit longer than the width of the mount. Put the cylinder over the mount, put a big washer on the open end of the cylinder and an exact fit washer over the mount on the other side of the subframe, then put a big bolt through the whole mess and a nut on the other side. Finally, start ratcheting (here's where power tools really help) until the bolt/washer pulls the old mount through. Make sure that the washer pulling the mount is an exact fit or slightly smaller so you don't get it stuck in there. Putting in the new mounts is the same procedure except you don't need the cylinder. I would've done it this way if I had a way to get the diff out.

KuoH