View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 11:43 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Car heater coils and aviability

Kia ora Phil,

I have just replaced the core in my 92 JDM SVX and it appears to be the same as the photos appearing earlier in this thread. Except that mine is of a different style, in that the tubes are attached to the top tank by means of bolt on flanges, necessary because the tanks are of plastic. By contrast the photos appear to show a metal tank, which would be vastly superior.

Significantly, it was a hair line crack in the bottom plastic tank which caused my problem. Same thing as the faulty top tank on my radiator, which I have had replaced in aluminium. A very nice job at an economical price.

I was able to source a second hand SVX core, which I had severely pressure tested, but if I had known about the possibility of a metal tank, this would have resulted in a more secure solution. Subaru N.Z. quoted around NZ$1,000 for a new tank! The used one was NZ$100.

Dimensions of my original and now replaced core:-

Overall height including tubes & flanges --- 225 mm.

High core only --- 195 mm.

Width --- 165 mm.

Depth/thickness o/a --- 53 mm.

Element thickness --- 46 mm.

Distance between tubes at firewall --- 180 mm.

Tube diameter --- 15 mm.

Overall depth, at right angle to tube ends to angled core --- 280 mm.

Number stencilled on bottom tank --- 26529 A1

The tubes angle down slightly to a point level with the top of the core. The foam mounting packing, is much thinner on the SVX core, particularly around the top tank but this would be of no significance. The top plastic tank is white/cream coloured. The bottom, which has rather significantly cracked, black as per the original main radiator material.

I think the dimensions will be better than a photo, as the tubes and angles are hard to judge, but appear to be as per the photos already posted.

Cheers, Trevor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hill View Post
So I take it this isn't going to be the right one then ??

In that case can anyone get me some pics and dimentions of the correct heater matrix then ??

Thanks

Phil.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 06-30-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Number & dimension added.