View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IwantaSVX

So, basically one choice is a mono amp with a decent output for a 2 ohm load. I will have to wire the subs in parallel at the amp in order to split the single output, right?
Correct. That is the typical setup for car woofers. Some high-end installations maintain a stereo woofer setup, but that usually has the woofers in a custom door, or similar, setup. In the trunk mono is indistinguishable from stereo.

Quote:
Originally posted by IwantaSVX
Now, say I find a 2 channel amp. I'll be looking for one with a decent ouput for 4 ohms now???
Yes.

Or are you asking for putting an amp on front speakers too? The answer would still be yes, but there are very few 3-channel amps (I use one, but then I'm a little unbalanced myself ). Also, very few 4-channel amps can also drive woofers because they can't (a) produce enough power for woofers (compared to what the front set require), or (b) if bridged, can't bridge below 4-Ohm loads. The usual way to do this is to buy two amps, one for up front (or even 4-channels) and one for the woofers.

With two 4-Ohm woofers you have three choices only...wire in parallel (2-Ohm load), wire in series (8-Ohm load), or keep in stereo (two 4-Ohm loads).