View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Re: torque for lugnuts... Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
You guys really use a torque wrench to put your wheel nuts on??

I use an 18-inch breaker bar and turn them until it feels tight enough.
I used an an 18 inch breaker bar... at least I tried to use an 18 inch breaker bar to get the front wheels off! Add to that, a 5 foot cheater bar and about 200 lbs on the end of it. That wasn't easy but I finally got the lug nuts to give.

When we flew to southern calif to purchase this low mileage Pearlie White SVX, we were more than satisfied with the deal. Not just the car that had every reason th drive like a new one, but the seller was a man of character!! On the way home the car drove like a dream until... we were coming down the mountain roads and it started vibrating and got so bad that it was scarey to drive it. This only happened while coming down the mountains and braking pretty hard. The previous owner had about $18,000.00 receipts for maintenance and repairs, most of them were from a combination Subaru and Cadillac dealership in the last 2 years. Hadn't ran across one of those combos before! Notice I put the best one first... Subaru.

Checking the service records, it showed that the rotors had been milled, so I assumed that might have been the reason for the warping. maybe caused by excessive heat! We try to drive our two lo mileage SVX's as little as possible, so sitting it up for this past year, only driving it maybe 20 miles, worked for us.

I decided to 'Fix it" and drive it a few miles, so I ordered some rotors. PowerSlot Front Cryo Brake Rotors seemed right, a little pricy, but pretty good recommendations from a couple of people on this form.

When I began to take the first lug nut off, I was not able to do it with my 18 inch breaker bar. so I went for the 5 ft cheater and putting my 200 lbs on it, it did not budge! A little bouncing up and down finally got results.

The tires were sold 18 months ago and installed at sears. I have owned the car, but not been driving it for a year. All the front lug nuts were the same story. The rear ones were not quiet as tight, but badly over tightened. I ended up loosing the rear ones to torque them as well.

That was the reason for my inquiring about the torque for lug nuts. Strangely, I asked before I even tried to replace the rotors, but that kind of price made me want to give them a chance to work well, especially with that scarey rid home last June. I normally pay $20.00 for new front rotors, and have had no problem with any of them!!

Never before, I have always used an 18-inch breaker bar and turn them until it feels tight enough with no problems, but from now on... after screwing the lug nuts on finger tight (which I have always done), the torque wrench will be my friend!

Keith