Old 11-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674

Ron,

Judging by your description you have engine flooding. This is a well-known issue with VW turbo engines - if it did not run long enough, it will have a problem starting the next time.

Basically ECU is enriching mixture when it is trying to start engine, it does so by gradually increasing amount of fuel. If it goes too far it soaks spark plugs and nothing good happens until the spark/cylinder dries up a bit.

Next time after you washed the car and put it into garage, try to crank it with throttle fully open. It will take engine longer to catch (3-5 seconds), but then it should run normally. And yeah, don't forget to release the throttle once it starts. This is the flood clearing procedure, it is programmed in ECU. If engine runs normall after that, the flooding theory is confirmed.

The other possibility is moisture playing up with electrical connections - it would not be cured by full throttle start.

Thanks, gl; sounds like the old "mash the peddle" routine you'd do on a flooded carburator. But, as I said, the car catches immediately, does a death rattle, then quiets down, but runs rough for 20-30 secs. or so. I've never had a starting problem in monsoon rains either, so I sorta' discount the moisture theory, but......
Wait...my engine say VW turbo!! Oh, no! No wonder I got this thing so cheap!!!

Oh the humanity!

Ron (jetzt, fahren auf der autobahn).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.