View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: New How-To Document Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricter View Post
I ... noticed that a good deal of them are simply one or two page pdf files of just text. Could we, over time, get the contents of those pdf files posted into the thread instead of linked?

... that way the information would be right there without the additional step of downloading and opening another file, and then the contents would be searchable through the forum search function.
I second that! Searching is good.

There's no need to toss the PDFs -- they can remain as an easy way for people to download and print the document. Just be sure to always update each PDF at the same time you update the forum text. Perhaps the filename could include the date at the end (e.g., "xxxx_20100410.pdf").

I also strongly recommend including a conspicuous note in the post saying that the PDF contains exactly the same text as the post (so people don't download the PDF unless they really need a portable copy -- save the site some bandwidth).

Short of posting the full content, it would be very helpful to post a synopsis with keywords that will catch searches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by How-To Doc View Post
I have started a new account for the How-To Forum so that my signature is not so big and will cut down the clutter.
Yay! Thank you, Earl!