View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission care

Oh no, another tranny debate. I am a pretty damn good engineer and these threads make my head spin. Of course, I am not an automotive engineer but an electrical/optical engineer so trannies are not my specialty.

I'm surprised no one mentioned bypassing the radiator with a higher flow oil cooler. I bought, but have not yet installed, a 10,000 GVW flex-a-lite cooler which has a pretty small footprint and a low flow resistance.

I agree with Mike on Lubegard. I have had great luck with the stuff and the folks at BITOG rave about it. It is an ester based additive which should help reduce operating temperatures. It is like water wetter for your tranny. Although I like Lubegard, I personally opted for Redline with no additives over Subaru ATF with Lubegard but I think that is a great option too.

From what I have gleened from the many threads on the subject, increasing the dropping resistor would help the line pressure a little but Mike's TCU map changes would help it a lot at those critical low RPM, low throttle conditions.

If stupid little crap like valve cover gaskets and O2 sensors ever stop going, I may be able to get the wife to agree to letting me buy Mike's TCU upgrade or valve bodies or both. Maybe a group buy by 1996 owners for the TCU upgrade would help spread out the cost of Mike mapping stuff out for our newer TCUs. (hint...hint to 1996 owners)

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything