View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Here's the thing - my wife's Legacy is a Brighton, so it doesn't have a tach. That makes diagnosing this problem I'm having a little more difficult.

I'm pretty sure it's hunting around for gears. It seems to happen while cruising around town. Sometimes it happens while accelerating, sometimes while just maintaining speed. I'm pretty sure it's not slipping, because when I feel it hunt around, I goose the throttle and it's definitely in gear. The engine doesn't rev freely. It also shifts perfectly otherwise. I've had slipping Subaru transmissions, and this isn't one.

I don't have any warning lights coming up. My OBD-II scanner is loaned out, but the transmission light isn't flashing on startup like it has before when there's an electrical problem.

I'm going to add a little ATF just in case it is slipping. It's full, but the aftermarket filter I put in there has a shorter pickup and the pan has to be a little overfilled for it to maintain pressure.

My theory for right now is the selector switch. I think it needs to be adjusted or even replaced. I can't reproduce it reliably, but as soon as I suspected the selector I pulled gently back on it and 'the problem' happened.

Anyway, I'm open to other theories or ideas.
Gid'ay Paul, If it was the selector switch that was making it shift gears, the gear position indercator on the dash would show the changes, as they are driven by the shifter.
Could be the Throttle position sensor, worn,loose, ect.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.