View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Subaru Worshiper

My First SVX, and My Planned Maintenance.

So after reading the forums over the last two weeks I have devised a list of things I should replace so that my SVX can hopefully become somewhat dependable my daily. The Car Currently has ~206,000km

First off, I have the last 18 years of maintenance records, that I received from the elderly couple and owned this car before. Trans was rebuilt 50k km ago and a external cooler was added at that time. Car was repainted in 2007, and car had regular oil changes and brought in at the Subaru recommended maintenance intervals. I bought the car with a Power steering leak, Oil leak, and fuel leak and a small Coolant leak. Fixed the fuel issue. I drove through Canada Windsor to Edmonton (~3900km ) and it needed new PS fluid every gas stop and needed oil every second/third stop. So these are my biggest concerns that I must address. This is my list as it stands:
  • High Pressure Power Steering Line: 34610PA120
  • Rear Main Seal
  • Valve Cover Gaskets
  • Spark Plugs (couldn't find the record when they were last replaced)
  • Transmission Filter (I will probably add an External Perma-cool Trans Filter)
  • Timing Belt with all the relevant parts. (It is due in 45k)
  • Water Pump with Thermostat and gasket. (I think the gasket is the leak)
  • PS/AC Belts
  • Both Knock Sensors
  • Oil Pressure Sender
  • Fuel Filter

I have a list of modifications a mile long for what I want to do, but this must come first.

What I am looking for is some recommendation as to what else I should replace/inspect before I can rely on this as my Daily Driver.

I am a Student, so I drive to and from Edmonton and Detroit (~2000miles) twice a year and very little driving the rest of the year. So I mainly need the car to be reliable for long journeys. (There is also talk of towing a small 3.5ft x 5ft trailer and I have my own welder and fairly mechanically inclined so I plan on making my own Trailer hitch. Please consider this when recommending possible maintenance I have overlooked)

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Also Moderators if there is a rule I am violating please let me know and I will move my post or fix.

Cheers & Thank you

R.I.P. 1997 White Legacy Brighton Wagon 279k 5MT
Mods: 96 JDM WRX 2 piston brake swap, 04/06 STI Tophat, Springs & Struts, Whiteline Swaybars & Endlinks, 96 JDM WRX Control Arms, 98 Outback Front End swap.