View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 11:52 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Ok let me get this straight.

Dayle wants to buy a Toyota Previa and make a little fun project out of it.

Rob thinks that that's 'weak' and the Chrysler turbo Minivan is the way to go.

Dayle points out that there are reasons that he wants to purchase and build up a Previa. One of those reasons is reliability. Dayle feels that Toyota's are more reliable than Chrysler's.

Rob states that he has no knowledge of the Previa, but feels that Chrysler is a reliable car.

Dayle suggests that Rob contact a Toyota service department to confirm the reliability of the Previa. He still stands by his statement that Chrysler's are not as reliable.

Rob admits he has no knowledge of Previa's so he can't comment on their reliability. However, Rob thinks that you can not rate the reliability of a manufacturer's products by 'when a few things fail on certain models'. Rob then uses Subaru in another example.

Dayle then furnishes a fairly reputable source of information to backup his claim that Toyota's vehicles are higher in quality and reliability than Chrysler's vehicles as a whole. Subaru's also fall above the industry standard. Chrysler falls below industry standard.

Rob then argues that Quality is not the same as Reliability.

I read over Dayle's link and saw that the report was based on QUALITY and DEPENDABILITY.

Knowing that Rob fully read the article and fully understands the English language along with the his skilled talents in deciphering pretty colored charts, for some reason, he continues to make false statements.

I agree with Rob that Quality is not the same as Reliability, but isn't Dependability the same as Reliability?

To be sure, I consulted a dictionary. Here's what I found:

re·li·a·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-l-bl)
adj.
Capable of being relied on; dependable: a reliable assistant; a reliable car.
Yielding the same or compatible results in different clinical experiments or statistical trials.

To be sure that the dictionary was not hogwash, I also checked out Dependability:

de·pend·a·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-pnd-bl)
adj.
Trustworthy. See Synonyms at reliable.

Now after examining the pretty colored bars on the charts, I noticed that there were quite a bit of problems with Chrysler's. The difference in numbers between Toyota's and Chrysler's are so great that it proves that Dayle's right in regards to reliability. That report also shows that there are more than just a 'FEW THINGS FAIL ON CERTAIN MODELS' that Rob mentioned.

FYI Rob- Feel free to correct me where I am wrong. DIG?