View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX
Re: car tried to fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
I've been reading up on aerodynamics and someone who seemed smart said that aerodynamics begin to matter around 70mph. Someone else claimed lower. With respect to aerodynamics of the machine, from what I read, seems I need to make sure there's plenty of downforce on the front end. A wing up front like the later model Countach had could help- but I'm not going there.

Then I wonder if any of the aftermarket front ground effects are truly effective. Then I get carried away and start thinking about completely covering the underbody in plastic sheeting to ensure that the air moves faster underneath.

It just seems that a car that'll, supposedly, top out at somewhere around 150mph shouldn't feel light at 120mph- which I wasn't quite doing. It should crouch.

Anyone know how the weight balances out? I'd guess the SVX is something like a 70/30 weight balance front to back? Maybe 65/35?

92 snowmachine: It's windy at least 7 months out of the year here and the SVX is the quietest car I've ever seen in the wind. In fact, makes me wonder whether that wind that had something to do with SVX wanting to fly was somewhat higher than 30mph. I can really relate to what you wrote.
i didn't say it starts to matter at 120, i said that it'll be able to lift with more than 120
just try to find another svx to see if the underbody matches and that it's not just a feeling on your side....and hand-made aerodynamics can make things worse...just be careful
the weight distribution is about 58/42 (if i remember right)
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k