View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
And if a Solenoid C fails on the US type transmission, the default will be 90% or 100% Front Wheel Drive?

Joe
Nah, on a US car, inserting the control fuse (energizing the solenoid completely) will result in 95% duty cycle, or 100% Front Wheel Drive. A failure of the solenoid (0% duty, since there's no power at all?) will result in full lockup of the transfer clutch, or 50/50. This is why a Solenoid C failure in a USDM car will cause binding issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocrest
I'm not sure but I equate it to this;
In a rear wheel drive car with an open rear diff, if one of the wheels has no traction (in the air or on ice) that wheel will spin and the one with traction will do nothing. If you gently apply the brakes that will sometimes provide enough resistance to the spinning wheel to cause the diff to divert power to the wheel with traction.

Is the VTD clutch acting like the brake???
But that assumes that the center differential in a VTD box is an open differential, which has been proven to be false by Trevor's statement that there's a constant mechanical ratio between the front and rear drives. About 35/65 front/rear.

I just don't get it. What's connected when the clutch isn't? Something has to be connecting the front and rear propeller shafts to result in a 35/65 ratio when the clutch isn't there to influence it. And when the clutch does come into play, how does it take torque away from that gear set and send it to the front propeller shaft?