View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Re: Bad MPG and rough ride!!

Hey Pavan,
Your 164 is outstanding! Wish you could have had it at our Woodley Park show last month. We had about a half dozen 164s of various types out of the 85 or so Alfas in the show. Winner in the Daily Driver class was a black LS like yours, but in not nearly as nice shape. Mine is a '91 L with less than 100k on the clock, and all original except the A/C system, and is a rare 5-speed as well. (I think I read somewhere that 80 percent or more of the 164s were automatics.)
In other news, Tom had a look at my SVX as he passed through So Cal, and all his recommendations have been implemented, with the exception of the front dif, which whines on the overrun. Took it to the tranny shop where it was replaced in Feb., and they kept it for four days, then told me that they didn't do anything. A friend who is a retired service manager said they probably told me that because they didn't have anyone in the shop who knew how to set gear lash properly. I was willing to pay for them to R and R the tranny and dif, but I don't have the funds to replace the ring and pinion with a new set. (I believe Subaru wants $1,800 for the parts.) So I'm living with it for the time being.
By the way, Tom checked the codes on the car, and it showed a bad left oxy sensor, so I had them both replaced, along with putting in an aftermarket resonator to replace the rattly stocker. The car is now smoother and much quieter.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri