View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 PM

Re: Trying to extract ECU error codes

I've got about 4 MAFs now, bought some solder, solder wick & sealer today. So I'll disassemble one later today and resolder it, then install and see what happens.

The other thing I'm going to try is to simplify getting codes from the ECU.
Originally I was going to add some switches under the dash which which will short the appropriate connections in order to get check engine light to display codes and then the other switch to clear the ECU.

Had a better idea, another mod I've done is to solder a bridge across the contacts on the Cruise switch (on the dash), so that Cruise control will always be available from the Cruise stick without having to press another button on the dash to get it to work. So, by bridging this a little bit further down in the wiring loom this leaves the Cruise switch sitting on the dash with no purpose.
Right next to it is a Fog lights switch which now no longer has a purpose in my car (car has plastic headlights with fogs fitted, I swapped out the whole headlight units for glass, but our local glass headlight units don't have fogs, so I lost the fogs along the way, no great loss). So that freed up another switch on the dash.

Intention is to wire the fog light switch to cause the CEL to flash error codes and the Cruise switch (which is a momentary action switch) to clear the codes.