View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Ideas for the next Reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
I had no idea we went for a drive, either meandering or to the museum this year. I would have been in for both!

The two sets of DIY hood strut repair hardware were part of my donation. That's something that pretty much everybody can use (except purists like Will who prefer $$OEM$$ ), and are about $10 of specific parts each. I hope that's not basement junk.

It is safe to say, though, that the selection was slimmer this year! Did we have an imbalance of new-to-Reading members who weren't aware of the raffle? Have the most generous donators from the past cut back, either from resources or from feeling taken for granted?

Now that I have a bit less subjesctive nature to my reading adventures, I will likely be willing to throw most of my stuff up for raffle next year... Realize, that I did indeed throw away a ton of SVX parts when I closed the shop because people wouldn't take them for free!

A concourse is a must, it must have prizes worth it though... This way people will even polish a turd! Again, I am willing to be a judge in this because quite frankly, I am not sure I will have an SVX by the next reading, so it will only take a bribe to swing my vote

Drives are good fun, but for many, they drove a hell of a lot to get there.... More driving seems a bit off of the top of the priority list.

Raffle needs to be tended to before hand... Sorry John, but there was no pumping up of the raffle this year. You won't always have big ticket items that are donated but still... This year was weak-sauce. I have shelves of parts, many new-in-box that a lot of you really want... If I cannot unload them, I will bring them next year to be given away. Someone needs to step up to the plate in a big way though... Most of you don't realize what a big deal getting the raffle together is like. Hell, when we raffled off the car it was one of the biggest undertakings I have gone through... But it was worth it ( not monetarily obviously). This reading was a smash and grab event. Many of the people like Hocrest, Ben, Melis, and myself who had planned a lot of the activities in the past just didn't have the time to put into it this year... I had hoped someone would pick it up in our absence but it just didn't happen... Don't give me that "I live too far away" BS either... Google maps is enough to plan a drive.... Send some emails to local places on interest to get information for a group gathering.... Start a raffle list early, make people commit to their donation, if they cannot make it, organize their donations to be picked up of shipped... Problem is, a lot of members just want to go, and leave... no strings attached and no work put into it.... Nothing will ever get done this way.

Reading is a labor of love, sometimes it takes months of stuff thats not fun in order to have a really great time

Tom