View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: ECUtune forged pistons for NA SVXii

The purchaser of this engine is going to save it for a rainy day so we figured we better do something to stop the fuel system from getting gummed up. I happen to have a Mercury Optimax outboard engine on my bay boat. Optimax engines are direct injection using side feed injectors much like ours and Mercury has products and directions for preparing their engines for storage--so we figured we would use their products to prepare our EG33 fuel system for storage.

So I opened up the crate enough to get the manifold off.

The two products I used were Mercury Quickleen fuel injector and fuel system cleaner and Mercury Quickstor fuel stabilizer. I mixed them 50/50 in a quart mixing pale I turned into a tempory svx gas tank. I wired a spare svx fuel pump up to a marine battery with a switch to turn the pump on and off. Now is not the time to be jumping wires by hand. I used a new piece of fuel hose to connect the pump to the fuel line on the manifold and another new piece of fuel hose to run a return line to the pale. The fuel pump sprays fuel out of holes on the top as well as the hose fitting so I had to cover the fuel pump with something to stop it from being a fuel fountain. I used a plastic bag from the grocery store which worked fine. This rig allowed me to continuously run the mix through the fuel system just like happens in the car.

Next I wanted to actually flush the fuel injectors and leave a less concentrated mix in the fuel system for storage. So I added gasoline to the mix. Using an extra fuel injector harness plug and a boat horn switch, which is a momentary switch, I made myself a rig to easily open a fuel injector for however long I wanted. With rig #1 pumping the injector cleaner, fuel stabilizer, fuel mix through the system I opened each injector for 5 seconds letting each spray the mix into my plastic work cart (this is why I removed the manifold from the engine).

With the cart cleaned up, the fuel system cleaned up, and the fuel system full of a stabilized fuel and fuel injector cleaner mix I cut a piece of the fuel hose to connect the fuel in and return lines so the mix can't evaporate. I left the manifold sitting on blocks for a while to dry out then re-installed it and closed up the crate.