Thread: I just 28 MPG
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 03:38 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
and...

Quote:
The engineers try everything they can to get the car to have high gas mileage when they do the tests.
Actually, no they don't. The engineers run the car through a predetermined testing procedure that is supposed to measure all cars equally. The number you see on the window sticker is what the car got according to the standardised EPA testing procedure.

Every single car I've owned I've been able to blow away the highway miles per gallon number. BLOW AWAY. I got 46mpg in my 4 cylinder plymouth acclaim, no idea what it was rated for, but you can be sure it wasn't that good. I did almost as good as that (into the 40s) in my dad's 96 Intrepid with its 3.3L 12 valve OHV V6 (man, that car had torque), and that car was also not rated anywhere near that number. I get nearly 40mpg in my 97 Stratus (2.5L 24valve SOHC V6), and could do better if not for my distinctly leaden foot! That car is rated for 18/24, and I get more like 24/36.

The key to fuel economy seems to be:

1) NEVER EVER use your cruise control if you can avoid it. Your foot is far better at saving fuel.

2) Avoid a/c whenever possible; nothing hurts gas mileage like more load on your engine, except for maybe more drag, which brings me to....

3) For crying out loud, keep your windows and sunroof closed. Nothing hurts gas mileage like more drag; Just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*

4) Don't buy big, heavy rims, drag-inducing spoilers, front air dams/diffusers, or other silliness.

5) Inflate your tires properly, and make sure other mechanical bits are in good working order. Nothing kills efficiency like a slipping tranny, grinding differential gears, or a stuck parking brake.

6) As my grandfather used to say: "Tempo dullo" Take it easy. Light on the throttle, don't speed excessively, coast to a stop when possible, avoid abrupt manoeuvres (note: not a typo; Canadian / British spelling).

That seems to be about it. Common sense, no?
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*