Thread: Bearings 101..
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2002, 05:39 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

It was a discussion that John (Lightning_8669) was having with the dealer that keeps replacing bearings on his Legacy. The mechanic was talking about how the old tapered bearings on Subarus never went bad and that a few guys have put the older style carrier, bearing, and a hub on their own newer Subarus to resolve the problem.

I'm only the messenger, but I'd be ppy to get more details if you want.

Doug
I've replaced quite a few bearings in just about every kind of Subie from FF1s to the SVX, but not much in the way of the newer models, I don't see many of them here. Typically flat roller bearings are used in straight axle, rwd vehicles as the axle floats in the bearing. There's really no way to retain the wheel hub without opposed bearings in an independant wheel. I do think some of the older Subies may have used opposed ball bearings rather than opposed tapered bearings... I work on too many cars to remember the little details (jeez, some days I feel like I have Kelly Bundy's brain, in order to retain a new fact I have to let go of an old one... )

My humble opinion is that the SVX bearings are similar in size to those found in their lighter weight cars, although I've never had the chance to compare them physically, hence the failure rate. The first SVX bearing I replaced amazed me by the diminuitive size of the rollers. Even our cheap, excuse me - entry level, domestic junk has larger rollers.