View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Lost electricity briefly on highway last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
I only spent $3200 three years ago, so by my logic I could be driving something 3x more reliable, but that'd only be half the fun.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. This morning's commute went off without a hitch, and after running around all weekend (trying to prompt repeat failure) I'm fairly certain that the issue has been resolved.

The battery that I replaced with the Red Top had the same footprint, but was maybe 1 1/2" -2" taller. The new(ish) Red Top has solid posts, and while the tiedown is a filthy corroded mess, the battery itself is in great condition. I checked the fuses and fusable link in the under-hood fuse box and it seems fine. I still intend to follow up with the alternator wiring upgrade and a new alt in the immediate future, but I was able to isolate the problem to the negative battery connection with reasonable certainty.

The pic of the cable is a "before" shot from when I first disconnected it. I gave it a little spit-shine and wipedown with a towel and it was nice and glossy when I reassembled. On the way home tonight I plan to stop for some dielectric grease and look into the spray suggested earlier, then give it another look.
I don't know if you are already doing this, but it is the corrosion between all the strands of wire down under the covering that you need to remove the corrosion from, not just the outside. Use the hot water and the Baking Soda that Ben said. That will neutralize the corrosion, then seal it up.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.