View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: Lost electricity briefly on highway last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Maybe you should spend more than $10 for daily transportation.

So from your first post I gather that you replaced the battery and cable after it did it the first time right? Was that battery smaller too or not? Is it possible you're breaking off the terminal post inside the battery or is it nice and tight? I remember reading that Red Tops have a habit of breaking their posts (I'd suspect it is less related to the battery itself and more related to improper tying down on installation). Your cable does seem a bit tarnished a little soda usually does the trick on that, then grease it up with some electrical grease. How are your fusable links? Finally, check your wiring going to the alternator, is it possible you have a short there which is grounding?
I only spent $3200 three years ago, so by my logic I could be driving something 3x more reliable, but that'd only be half the fun.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. This morning's commute went off without a hitch, and after running around all weekend (trying to prompt repeat failure) I'm fairly certain that the issue has been resolved.

The battery that I replaced with the Red Top had the same footprint, but was maybe 1 1/2" -2" taller. The new(ish) Red Top has solid posts, and while the tiedown is a filthy corroded mess, the battery itself is in great condition. I checked the fuses and fusable link in the under-hood fuse box and it seems fine. I still intend to follow up with the alternator wiring upgrade and a new alt in the immediate future, but I was able to isolate the problem to the negative battery connection with reasonable certainty.

The pic of the cable is a "before" shot from when I first disconnected it. I gave it a little spit-shine and wipedown with a towel and it was nice and glossy when I reassembled. On the way home tonight I plan to stop for some dielectric grease and look into the spray suggested earlier, then give it another look.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.

Last edited by K_Dub; 01-24-2011 at 03:00 PM.