View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Re: Cash for clunkers...the final installment perhaps

What loss?

Resale is resale, even if it is low. It sucks, but it is market driven.

Seizing tax money to pay leveraged government debt, with interest, is not ethically right.

Using that money to BRIBE people to buy newer cars is not morally right. Robbing peter to pay paul, via stanley is still robbing peter.

Crushing viable cars is insane, and should never have been codified into the law. Those vehicles may have low value monetarily, but they are still worth something to someone. It is probably worth more than simply scrap value, even if it isn't 4500$.

Comparing perhaps 2000-3500$ resale value for that video'd SVX, to a 4500 bribe is not a loss. The bribe shouldn't have happened in the first place, and the vehicle should not be crushed, but should have been put on the market for trade in, and then re-sold to someone else. That mechanism has been in operation, economically longer than cars have been around, and it is sound economics, for the most part.

Financially SANE???????????????

How is acruing a boat-load more debt for a new car financially sane, when that SVX was probably operating as a paid-off drivable vehicle? Either someone can afford a new car or not. Taking tax money away from some to convince others that they should buy a new car, when they now are driving a clunker, is not sane.

That car was not in part-out condition, and if it were, it would not have been elligible for C4C. They had to be running vehicles, before the dealers permanently put them down.

Again, if the person who owned that SVX needed another car, or wanted one... the mechanism exists. RESALE. TRADE IN. and buy a "financially sane" car that they can afford, even if it isn't new.

STEALING my money through taxes to bribe that person means that I can afford less. Means that I can't afford to buy another SVX that is in better condition than mine. It means I can't afford to restore mine, nor buy a different vehicle, or any number of other discretionary spending, that aggregated with other people, would bolster consumer spending, rather than government wastefulness.

There is no balance. C4C was stupid, and completely unbalanced, and had no moral or ethical grounds whatsoever.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 09-02-2009 at 04:15 PM.