View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: warm start issues on replacement engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking64 View Post
Car starts fine when cold.
When warm / hot will start after 10 - 20 turns on starter.
After looking thru threads was looking to take sensors off old engine and replace onto this one.
Have cleaned MAF & changed rear temp sensors and thought all was well - still there.
The engine I'm using was from a 92 salvage and sat idle for 4 yrs I reckon.
Am I on the right track with doing the other sensors or try something else - Car runs fine once it's running - but really feels like it needs to turn over more than it should before it gets running, and I know they normally pretty robust and start straight away

- heading to post count 100!
Hi Mate. There are two main reasons that would cause the starting problem when hot.
First fuel, if if has a leaking injector, or a faulty temp sensor, it can be too rich to start first off, has to be cleared out to go.

The other one is the magnetic sensors like the crank,and cam position sensors. These age with time to lose some of the magnetic strength to produce a weak signal.
It may be strong enough to start when cold, but when they heat up the curie effect causes them to lose more magnetic strength, so that the signal is too weak to produce a constant signal, takes more turning for the ECU to trigger the injectors and spark.
Try swapping the ones out of the old engine, both cam and crank.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.