View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 03:16 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Thanks Trevor, good advice.

If I have to rearrange the board to add the comparator then I will incorporate these suggestions at the same time. I don't really fancy it though because I've trimmed the legs short on all the components. I think as a first (half-assed) attempt I'll add the comparator on a separate board and see if the problem goes away.
As long as the relative tracks on the board are short you should not have problems, but keep what is involved in mind.

For this type of project amateur radio guys (hams) often use what is referred to as "ugly wiring" and this is very effective. The idea is simply to assemble the components in a logical three dimensional framework, all being supported by legs, pigtails and the odd added single strand interconnection. The resulting ugly concoction is in practice very rigid and can be stuffed into an enclosure and retained with suitable pliable packing. For absolute permanence a filling of expanding foam can be injected.

When it comes to VHF circuitry this ugly method can be very efficient electrically and hard to beat on all counts. For experiments the advantages are obvious. Components can be reused without problem and most important, alterations and additions become a simple procedure. The idea is to make connections prior to soldering, using simple "U' bends rather than twists. .

Give it a try as this would be an excellent method for the applications you have on hand. If you think about it, the assembly can be neat and tidy, even if "ugly". PC board, move over.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!