View Single Post
Old 10-23-2001, 06:39 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Pwrlite

Let me break it down for you;
If you saw blue or bluish-white smoke there is oil burning, if you saw white smoke there is coolant leaking in the engine and burning off through the exhaust. This could explain why the temp is going up and down. The sound you hear could be the misfiring of a spark plug due to water on it, this would be more noticed at first start. if I were you, and you really like the car, I would talk them down a couple hundred dollars and use the difference for the repairs... Just a suggestion.
The difficulty with this problem is it could be many things, from a gasket to a (dare I even say it?) cracked block. That could cause both your white smoke and your overheating. Have you checked to oil to see if there is water or "froth" in it? If so, say thanks, but no thanks. If there isn't any water in your oil, then, I'd pay the money to have the engine pressure tested and completely gone over by a reputable mechanic WHO KNOWS THE SVX.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI