Thread: Harveys QC
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Harveys QC

I'm planning to install it, but I am hampered by the fact that the car I am currently using [over here] has a bad gearbox.

I have another SVX here with a good gearbox, but I don't use that car.

Without getting in to a flame war I think it is probably a good upgrade for anybody who has a car with a fully working and in good condition transmission, and with the proviso that the car is not used brutally at track days or on the drag strip.

My knowledge of automatic gearboxes does not extend much beyond the dipstick. From what I read the QC seems to remove some of the slow and slurring protection the engineers built in to save the box clutches between changes. This results in snappier changes using the QC. If a gearbox is wearing out or partly worn, these full power changes may hasten the demise of the clutch packs.

A good gearbox used normally for commuting and not being trashed should last OK with the QS. At least it would not bother me too much, once I knew I was not on weak clutches. That's why I intend to get one. I want to rebuild the original gearbox belonging to Jersey Girl so that she is "original" and with "matching numbers" as our across the pond brethren are so fond of quoting.

This bad gearbox I'm suffering with is also stopping me from trying the new software Phil wrote for UK gearboxes, which as you probably know have some functional differences from the US ones. [The US ones are rear assist Mickey Mouse gearboxes like you get in the Honda C-RV ]

That's my take on the controversial subject.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl