Thread: Tesla
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
To sell a perfectly good running car to buy an electric, or for that matter any car that is more economical is bad math. A friend had an F 250 truck getting 12 MPG. Left it in the garage and bought a car that got 20 miles to a gallon. After a year he sold it. Reason..tax on car, insurance,car payment,totaled 2 or 3 times what he saved on gas on his 40 mile a day commute. If you need a car and it is either a hybrid or electric and you normal daily driving can support the limited range, it is a good decision. Wife's ride to work is 45 miles each way. Our most distant relative is 200 miles away. We could get away with a Tesla X or S as a 1st car. We have to have two cars, as we both work different times and different directions.
I would have a Toyota Prius as my work car.
So you must really like those relatives and plan to stay over for quite some time while your car charges up. That is provided you made it as that 250 mile range is in California where they not only have happy cows but happy batteries too. How much do you think the range will decrease in the winter. I know a dewalt lit. battery looses about 35 percent of its life below 32. As for your "toy" Prius, the Corolla with its ancient engine and gasp 4 speed tranny is more economical unless your driving over 200k in 7 years time. That was when you got a tax credit too so I'd suspect you'd need to up those miles to 230k today.