Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Thinking the 3.3 has got to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
I think I am going to swap in a EJ258 w/ 6MT really soon.

From what I read on here you guys really dont like engine swaps.... I guess I'll be hated on here as well.
I doubt it will be as easy as the swap was in my old WRX. I put a JDM STi EJ208 w/ ver7 JDM STi 6MT and it couldn't have been easier... 8 wires (for the AVCS) and I had to re-clock the heater hoses... oh the horror! LOL
Quote:
No twin turbos... keep it simple. Built STi engine? Why? Drop in a stock one.

As for engines... (just for reference)
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/UsedEngines.htm
Quote:
And why wouldnt I want to improve it?

Personally I find it would be far cheaper to run and maintain a SVX with a WRX or STi swap since its more fuel efficient, cleaner and more factory & aftermarket support. Not to mention more powerful and god knows it will be much more fun to drive.

YMMV
I'm with you on this 100% Steven.

As an avid SVX fan if I had only one car I would keep it totally stock because of all the reasons guys are firing your way. In fact I do have one SVX with 40K miles and I'm keeping it showroom and totally stock.

However I have a number of cars and one of them is supercharged, the 4WS one actually. Now 4WS SVXes are rare as rocking horse droppings and no doubt people who don't think the SVX should be altered will regard this as sacrilege too, but I like to let a design reach its true potential.

What's an EJ258? Is that the 2.5 turbo unit you guys get in the States?

Regards the EJ257 unit listed on your link, the only 2.5 turbo the JDM guys got was the Forester Sti unit. These are pretty rare so it's a surprise that such engines are available.

While I like the six cylinder EG33 I think the SVX cries out for the 2.5 turbo. With the right exhaust and boost 330 to 350 hp is easily achievable and reliable and you will have a smoking hot coupe on your hands. Go for it and ignore the nay sayers.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl