View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 01:44 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Thinking the 3.3 has got to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
And why wouldnt I want to improve it? You cant possibly be serious? Do you have ANY mods? I mean ANY? Sorry I for one am not ever going to be satisfied with and mass production car as is. Thats just not how it works for me. If you are happy with a car that was built for the general population by a group of people that have no idea what YOU want... good for you. I however would rather personalize it to my personal taste. Its no different than the home improvements I have made to my house.

And for those with the terrible analogy of likening a sentient living being to a bunch of plastic and metal... really? That's just silly.

Personally I find it would be far cheaper to run and maintain a SVX with a WRX or STi swap since its more fuel efficient, cleaner and more factory & aftermarket support. Not to mention more powerful and god knows it will be much more fun to drive.

YMMV
For me, I've owned SVX's, WRX's, and STi's for the past 11 years. I just got rid of my 2006 STi because I was only taking it to the autocross every once in a while. A car like the Sti is a waste sitting in a garage and used for getting to work and back. An SVX was much more aligned to my driving today than the STi was. I find the SVX to be completely satisfying... is sure drives differently and in some cases superbly better than an STi does that I wouldn't screw with the SVX at all. I can't even believe I'm comparing these two cars. For me... why mod it? If I want a fast car I'll jump in and mod an STi.

From what you said above is seems that you are not happy with any car that is "made for the unwashed masses," which the SVX clearly is not. This car is so far out in left field as far as far as the "general population" goes that it sits all alone and pretty much forgotten.

These cars are uber rare and the usual result when people try something like what you want to do is a rusting hulk sitting in a driveway 8 months later. In fact there are really only a handful of good examples or truly dedicated modded SVX's that actually see the light of day. And they are almost all creations done by the talent found here on this board.

I'm with you about a car being plastic and metal... it is just that. But can you say the same thing while standing in front of a 250 GTO or a Shelby 289 Cobra? Yes, but don't forget all that is behind those cars. There are designers, owners, technicians, etc. And that is where the passion lies... I appreciate the dedication that went into designing the SVX. You can't say that about any car.

No matter what car you want to have fun with it should be done with thoughtful and dedicated follow through. The SVX is closer akin to Citroen, Porsche, and Lancia. Not WRX's and Honda Civics. Don't jump in cannon ball style. You would get the same response on a Porsche or Citroen forum as well.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 03-29-2010 at 01:48 PM.