View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: the ugly wood dash is killing me!

I started working on doing flat black and it looked really good. I'm going to be using the aluminum dash covers overtop though. I just didn't want edges to show the nasty woodgrain.

I really honestly love this car and absolutely everything about it. The whole transmission issue. Honestly whatever their reasoning was.. underpowered tranny's, media hype and lack of desire to put money into two different transmissions, I feel it was a mistake to not offer it in a 5 speed as well like they had originally talked about. Hell even the TT idea was cool.

All in all it turned out to be a gorgeous car that was well beyond it's time and although it's short run and lack of initial success was probably discouraging and thus the halt of the line, it has obviously had a lasting effect on all of us. Thus why we are here babbling about it.

I personally felt like once my 5spd conversion was done, I had the true SVX, she purred like she never had before with the auto. She felt happier and more responsive and like she was brand new again like when a 20 year old woman gets told she looks like she's still in her 20's. Just my take.

As far as mods, I like to modify cars, not so substantially that it doesn't even moderately resemble an SVX anymore, but just enough. A car can always use some more power! Also, I just want to add a personal flavor and add my touch to guigiaro's genius. And honestly, how come the new mustang that giugiaro designed gets vertical doors and we didn't!?

EDIT: PS a little side note for those who think that putting a nice stereo that's touch screen such as a pioneer AVIC-F900BT like yours truely is, or adding sideskirts and a different front bumper or even the thought of turboing the car are so AGAINST THE SVX and huge modifications and what not, you don't know the true SVX then because it was supposed to have had all these features. They toned down the original design to make it more affordable for people and therefor those of us who plan to do these things, are merely giving this beautiful car what it rightfully deserves! incase you think I'm full of crap... from the original brochure for the prototype Alcyone SVX I give you....

Voice Operated and touch screen telephone, and climate control rolled into one fancy 1989 computer screen and cd player

to compare to the pioneer AVIC F900bt, a 2009 version of a very similar idea...
Bluetooth phone support, gps navigation, DVD and Cd playback all with a beautiful touch screen monitor

The prototype had side skirts too!

Not all that different from what Dayle is selling

Even the front bumper on the prototype has a little less beak to it than the final product

therefor your choice of many aftermarket bumpers could arguably be closer look than the actual

Turbo??

ya they thought about it too... but with the technology of today.... it might take a bit of work... but it was their idea before it was ours!

Another cool picture I thought I'd share... this dash looks pretty cool, looks to be similar in shape but quite different from the actual. Just thought since the actual original thread was about the dash...
http://www.geocities.com/jamsvx2/cabin1.JPG

and uh oh... here it comes... for all the "smoked tail lights are ricer" people....

What's that.... slightly smoked tail lights???

so just some food for thought for all the nay sayers and the "I like it how it came from the factory and if you don't maybe you should get another car!" guys... It's not that we don't like the car... cause lord knows we all love this car! but some of us are of the opinion that some things could have been done better or should have more closely resembled the prototype!

sorry one of the pictures is a link because I was limited to 10 per post...

Last edited by Johnybeas; 05-08-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added info