Thread: Top Speed?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Speed differences.

When we look at top speed, there will be some differences in the models. The HP varies with the fuel. The WSM shows a non catalyst model running on leaded fuel, and low octane versions.
Along with this there is the difference in the final drive ratio, we got 3.7:1, the US got 3.454:1. Although the top speed is pegged, the way the car accelerates to it will be different.
My Australian model has accelerated to 240kph. on the dial then hit the limiter. Although I have not timed it over the 1/4, I am sure it would be quicker than the US version.

I have allways wondered at some of the handling reports from the US, UNDERSTEER !!!!! How do you get it? I don't press it around suburban streets, but I certainly press it hard out west and have found it to be most forgiving Wish the police were.

I am certain that the AWD does make the car handle differently. The torque distribution, as Joe says, has a starting point in the US model of 90% front 10% rear, under full throttle this changes to 50 / 50 front, rear. This split will also vary with speed, throttle position, gear position and the difference in front to rear rotation, as in cornering. Though under most conditions it will be mainly front wheel drive, with the rear wheel assist.

The European version AWD starts at 36% front, 64% rear, full throttle it goes to 50/50 the same . As with the US model it varies under the same conditions of speed gear etc.

Lift the foot in a corner, the US mod loses the rear drive to oversteer. Do the same to the European mod, nothing changes, still 64% rear drive.

In the handling department, the rear sits too high, to enable it to carry an extra 500lbs, in 3 rear seat people and luggage, the Aust. mod sits 0.5" higher than other models, so it gets a bit tail happy. I feel it would benefit from stiffer bushes in the rear lower lateral links. These are big rubber bushes that allow the rear to move across the wheels as the bushes compress, to give a 'settling into corners' feeling

I would not put hard bushes in the steering, as the designers have done a great job of preventing the dreaded 'rack and pinion rattle' from reaching the cabin.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.