View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 10:00 AM
svxstl

Re: Brickyard growl!

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

It is possible both bearings could be gone, but this would be an unlucky co-incidence. In such case, fix the noisier one first.
When I first got my car I had bearing noise but couldn't tell where it was coming from...the front (yes, front) driver's side bearing was out. I had it replaced and then I could tell there was bearing noise coming from the rear driver's side. Well, that's $700 down the drain; but now I can hear my stereo.

Before I heard the bearing noise, the crappy tires the previous owner had on it and never got rotated were cupped and making a racket. I got them replaced first and then heard the bearing noise.

Quote:

Good luck with the fix, and make very, very sure the person fitting your bearing knows how to do it, the correct tools and correct grease, or else a strong chance of damaging the hub and subsequent more expensive failure is ahead of you.
I could have had the bearings done elsewhere for cheaper but decided to go to the dealer for two reasons. 1, there's a higher chance they're familar with SVX bearings (the service mgr at my dealer is an SVXer himself); and 2, they warranty parts and labor for a year. So if either of the two bearings go out again it's no cost to me.

YMMV, but hopefully you won't have as many problems as I did. Good luck with your fixes and enjoy the new ride. Whatever you have to spend on it, it's worth it.

--Dan