View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Your point is interesting Joe, what I have noticed is that if I am driving the car at a constant speed but have it in 4th gear (6 speed box) when I should have been in 6 th gear the engine runs hotter. The moment I change to 6 th the tempreture of the engine drops. This is part of the reason that I agree with Tom on the top pipe. Somewere in the system when you increase flow the restriction in the left bank must get worse. Clearly there has to be a flow problem some were.
I am going to jump in at this point before I get every one coming out and saying this is a clear indication of cavitation of the pump. I AGREE THEY COULD BE RIGHT but it is best to stop this problem by reducing the restrictions in the pipe work and heads to enable the pump to handle higher speeds.
To explain at my work we have 3 by 500hp diesel pumps that each pump 300l of water per second. If we increase the speed on them to pump 400lps the suction pipe feeding the pump is to small and we get cavitation at the pump. This happens inspite of the suction pipe being 600mm in diameter. To solve the problem we changed the suction to 800mm and the problem went away.
Sorry to get off topic but I want to make the point we still have a lot of things to do such as increase the suction pipe from the radiator before we try to reduce the flow of the pump. It may turn out that we have to do that as well later but not now.
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.