View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Putting the whole supercharger vs turbo debate away....

The answer to your question is you need to build the engine. It's not just a matter of the compression either it's the cams. The engine is very over square and wants to make power at high rpms. The factory cams are set to make power at low rpms. The math works out to it being silly to use forced induction without cams. As the engines are old and the pistons are weak to being with combined with the compression ratio is far from ideal for forced induction and the factory oil clearances ranges are unacceptable for performance applications...you need to do the bottom end too. The bottom line is...build the engine first...then supercharge or turbo. If you build the engine right you should see big power from either method of forced induction.

To the what turbo to use question... the answer is for a single turbo use a garrett gt35r. For twins use garret gt2871's. Neither of those set ups have been used to date but I think all 3 of the turbo svx builders thus far would aggree that they would rather have those turbos if they had the $$ and/or didn't already buy what they bought.

I wouldn't try to supercharge myself. I'm the guy who fabricated the blower systems to date and I can tell you the clearances are TIGHT. The job is difficult enough to make whoever is foolish enough to take on the task cry before they are done.

I may offer another supercharger "kit" in the future but then I may not. I wouldn't do it the way I have in the past again. I have a large cnc machining center now and can make production runs of the parts but instead of trying to fight the loosing battle of fitting it under the stock hood I would make aftercooled systems that would perform like the living daylight but require you to get a fiberglass hooed and make a bump/scoop/cowl induction type design to give the necessary clearance. As far as that is concerned..unless by some miracle people start throwing $$$$ at me out of nowhere you will just have to wait and see what I do with my car and whatever I do will be made available for everyone else. I'm up in the air between twin turbos and an after cooled whipple at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWheelMan
iv been modifying my svx for about a year now and I decided I would like to put some boost to EG33. I have read that it had been done to a few out there so I was wondering which turbo they decided on and the intercooler used also if the internals were forged or just run a low amount of boost without forged internals and if custom up and down pipes had to be made