View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
More like to allow vacuum to bleed off after the EGR control solenoid closes, otherwise the valve would remain open until manifold vacuum drops to nil (WOT or stall.)

Is it possible for the EGR to flow so much as to pressurize the crankcase? If it does it would be the first I've encountered. I would look for an errant chunk of catalyst that rolls around in the exhaust, blocking the flow to atmosphere. Whether or not that is still enough to cause excessive crankcase pressure is still difficult to believe. On certain engines with intake manifold crossover passages for carb heat a manifold burn-thru will cause such a situation but the SVX doesn't employ such a design.

Anyway, excessive EGR flow results in stalling - no O2, no combustion. Simple physics. The engine would stall before that much pressure could build.

One would then suspect a cracked piston or dysfunctional exhaust valves except the 'runs o.k. until warmed up'. An errant chunk of catalyst that eventually rolls around and plugs the exhaust would fit the bill excepting the crankcase pressure.

Sorry, no answer here. Too tired (and maybe already missed the point.) Will sleep on it and hopefully come back to find more information.

P.S. Good to see Harvey and Lee. My parents live a few miles south of Lee and spent a few weeks hiding out, up here with me. (Oh, joy.) heheheh Actually enjoyed their visit. And Lee, I owe you two. I had to sneak down last March for a family reunion and didn't have time to visit. I will keep trying.