View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX
Wow. That's 100% wrong. Completely. Totally. You're not understanding what athiests believe AT ALL. A religon is not only a set of moral values... it's ALSO a belief in a HIGHER POWER. Atheisists also have moral values, but the values aren't 'set' by one person/book/cult. Most of them make up their own minds and figure out what makes sense to them, UNLIKE the religous masses who blindly repeat whatever their religous leader tells them. Atheists DO NOT believe in a higher power.
Trust me, you don't want to argue with me on this. This is something i have felt strongly about for a long time, and I have done more research on this than many people in the Theology field. Atheism fits the legal description of religion to a tee. The legal definition does not include anything about a belief in a higher power. It is quite simply defined as a set of beliefs as pertaining to conduct and moral values. That's it.

To make it simple, let's take your statement "atheists do not believe in a higher power" if you believe that that is what makes Atheism not a religion, then I can say "Christians do not believe in the absence of a higher power"...so then you would have to call christianity not a religion. Basically, according to the legal definition, if you say the words "believe in" when describing Atheism...it's a religion.

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
First i really don't think this was necessary... second of all, i believe theres MANY, MANY more people that deserve that disrespect than I do,
Absolutely true.

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
and third you really don't seem to be in a position to hand out these criticisms..
Niether are you.

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
Speaking as what many would concider an athiest, it's very hard to persue nothing with "with zeal or conscientious devotion"
And it's hard to believe you when many of your fellow "non-believers" "religiously" pursue the removal of religion from the world around them (with zeal and conscientious devotion). Christians have just as much a right to practice their religion as do you, so (and no offense to you in particular because i don't see you trying to get christianity banned) you need to tell your fellow non-believers to relax and deal with life rather than trying to ruin it for others.