View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 10:38 AM

Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

This is starting to be sort of a mysterious case...

I understand, that it is essential to identify my tranny type. Trevor, please refer to my post number 10. There you will find one important contradiction - sort of lost in the growing size of this thread - which you, as a SVX expert, can refine:

In all kind of sources, it is clearly stated, that Germany had the ACT-4 transmission, yet as you can see in my post 10, I proving, mainly with photo of the original 1993 German SVX manual, that my model is a VTD. Page with VTD gear ratios, written in the German language, clearly suggesting that. If we agree that this is true, then there are only 2 options:

A)My car is a VTD
B)My car originally was a VTD, but now it is an ACT-4, because previous owners, for whatever reasons, swapped it.

Now which one could be true?
If the diagram you sent me, showing the VTD tranny, then probably option A is correct.

If I listen to my feelings, I would have to choose option B. I simply cannot identify, with common objection on cumbersomeness and FWD feeling of ACT-4 owners. But I understand this could be relative, as I didn’t have a RWD car before.

For better orientation, see other pic:

Also check the aftermarket switch beside the shift lever.

I looked under it and the wires are cut off. My question is what was the original purpose of this switch? Power Mode MOD or 50:50 AWD toggle mod?

About the localization of the smell. If you mean it literally, then I would say, it is coming from the front, somewhere under the hood. When we were under the car, we didn’t observe it there.

Trevor, if you asking me about language, I am alone in this. I understand you, I don’t have problems with technical words (also a translator can help here ).

I must admit that I have problems in understanding specific phrases (I believe it is called an “idiom”) of your language, like a "stinker of a problem" which I thought was something like a hell of a problem, or a big problem, but not lesson one

So I hope that the above mentioned information will move us forward, but considering how many times I have submitted information, which at best kept us staying on the same page, I would not be surprised if you would take it with a grain of salt

Filip

Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (62.8 KB, 1007 views)
File Type: jpg 444.jpg (55.2 KB, 979 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 11-06-2018 at 10:48 AM.