View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Sold. :'-(

Finally ready to do some MAJOR maintenance...Trans/diff advice NEEDED!

(posted in Chris' shop, too)

Finally ready to do some MAJOR maintenance...Trans/diff advice NEEDED!

I have a '92 LS-L Touring AWD with known problems with the trans (won't go into reverse when warm), center diff (AWD intermittent), CV joints (clickclickclickclickclick) and unknown problems with the front diff (whines, tone rises with vehicle speed independent of engine speed - diff bearing?).

All these problems will hopefully GO AWAY soon, as I finally have some cash to take care of my baby.

1) I've heard about the alternative transmission that makes a slightly better swap than going with another SVX-spec one. What exactly do I look for, and where are good places to find them? Any idea on cost?

2) Can a trans cooler and gauge be added to that trans, and what's the easiest and/or best way to accomplish that?

3) Will the front diff problem simply be solved when I replace the trans or is it seperate? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

4) Is there anything special I should know about the center diff replacement?

Sorry for all the questions, but the shop I'm working with is used to working on Porsches and Ferraris, so I trust them, but they're not very knowledgable about this particular application (who is, really...). They apparently did the rear wheel bearings before I bought it, and they're fine, so that bodes well...

What I need is a very direct and specific step-by-step of what I need. Something like a shopping list, but for my car.

I'm going to LOVE having her back on the road, and hope to see you all at the 15th Anniversary Meet!

THANKS A MILLION!!!!
Raxles front axles