View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Re: To LSL or not to LSL that is the question..

I am not sure about the steering on the base model...

but this morning, my LS-L earned it's keep in the steering department.

I popped up over a hill, and there was a couple of big racoons killed in the road. Big enough to possibly get caught up under the car, one in the middle of the lane, and an obliterated one near the center line.

A quick dive to the right, half onto the shoulder, and back on the road... was remarkably taught and controlled, and the steering effort was quite high and precise. (good thing). The dampers and anti-roll bars allowed the car to roll somewhat, but even that wasn't out of control.

Other cars, both less sporty and focused, and probably even some that are more focused and skittish, might likely have had much more trouble with a full-highway speed excursion onto a gravel shoulder.

It was completely different than the highly boosted power steering at parking-lot speeds, which makes parking and maneuvering in and out of parking spaces easier. It is most definitely NOT a gimmick.

Those without the speed-sensitive steering probably have a static rate somewhat between them, and probably geared more for comfort than performance. It probably is what most people would consider quite normal for steering effort.

I would say, if you want the options, and are not ready just yet... hold out for an LS-L Pearly. Seems like a lot of the 92s were either Pearlies, or Clarets...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.