Thread: World Crissis??
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
For an animal yes, over many decades of survival of the fittest in which the ones able to live long enough to reproduce can pass on their genetics. In a society that embraces the idea of prolonging the life of the weak giving them the ability and promoting their reproduction and thus contaminating the adaption and change part and only increasing growth...

Tom
I recently came to the conclusion that natural selection no longer applies to modern society, as well with current and forthcoming [medical, bio-engineering] advances further rendering the concept of a fouled gene pool irrelevant. We still pick and choose whom with we wish to mate, and the beautiful fit people still choose to be with beautiful fit people. Thanks to technology the unfit, half-dead people can also fornicate with each other, but would this not be occurring (to an extent) regardless of the state of society, as well things like random mutation itself further confusing the pool giving doctors and celebrities deformed children, and hideous trolls super model protégé?

Even with the most advanced technology, I do not think it is physiologically possible to have a race of people whom do not adapt, change, or grow, so it seems to me that must be the entire reason for our existence, or at least the drive behind whatever the real reason may be, if one can be applied.

I do not believe in "waiting" for evolution, as well I do not believe in just being tranquil with or content with any state of affairs. There is always something better beyond the horizon, and no guarantee that horizon will come to you, so it is my opinion that humanity as a species should continue that path we have started, to push the limits of everything as quickly as possible. What's the worst that can happen? We blow ourselves up? I find that highly unlikely, as well I do not believe living a life without a horizon to be any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
An exponentially growing world population of 6 billion sharing limited energy and food resources.

Thousands of thermonuclear weapons capable of rendering Earth unliveable for millenia.
I do not think energy is limited resource. It is all around us, and simply a matter of harnessing it. I also do not believe water is a limited resource. It is also all around us and again is a matter of simply purifying and extracting.

I also happen to know that all of the nuclear arsenal on the planet is barely enough firepower to take out Texas alone. Radioactive fallout is an issue, but let us examine the probability that every nuclear device on the planet will detonate, ever. Highly unlikely, not to mention nuclear devices decay and do not work forever, so the number isn't necessarily growing even if new weapons are being built.

--
Relevant link for the interested to something I said earlier: http://www.pppl.gov/kstar/html/about_kstar.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSTAR
Another: http://www.scientificamerican.com/bl...nif-2009-04-01

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 09-16-2009 at 08:40 PM.