Old 03-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Rock and ROLLS...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Lets see.....the new Rolls Royce has a BMW V-12 under the bonnet.

VW/Audi owns Bentley. (the BMW/Audi-VW switch with Roll/Bentley came at the begining of this year)

Ford has Aston Martin and Jag.

That should leave TVR and Morgan as just about the last British cars being made, right?

(are Bristol's still being made? They were when I was in England back in the late 70's....Lotus is now in Malaysia right? This is SO confusing....) Don
I don't quite agree with Randy when he says it is a pity these revered marques are now Ford or GM or VW owned. [Yes, I know, I know he is the President ]

If the purity of design or engineering individuality is lost in the process, then, yes, I know why he mourns. But it is better the old marques are sheltered by the corporates and their survival assured, than have them go down in a blaze of glory. They also will benefit hugely from access to modern engines like the BMW and design facilities and so on.

TVR and Morgans are going strong in England, and Bristol. TVRs make very rapid and scary cars that tend to sit down a lot with electrical problems.

Morgan cars don't break down much, they are making the same models for years, and ought to have it right by now anyway.

England is blessed with auto engineering expertise, there are a number of other low volume car production outfits. One of the best sports cars in the world, and I do not exaggerate, is made by one of these, the Noble M12.

See http://www.noblecars.com/specif.html

This is a mid engined two seater with a totally communicative and controllable chassis, and surprise! surprise!, it uses a blown Ford V6 for motive power!

There is still plenty of individuality out there, you just have to look harder.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 03-07-2003 at 07:16 AM.