View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Re: Buell: Ceasing Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Hmmm. I have exactly 7 plastic parts on my Honda, vinyl seat, 2 seat covers, a tach and a speedo and 2 cable sleaves. Sure is alot huh? I have 10 or so "friends" who work at the plant in York who will likely loose their jobs if Harley's cost cutting measures take place, even if they did come out with a reasonable weighted XR I'd be hard pressed ever to take a test ride which when I looked at the XR it had more than 7 plastic bits on it. Plastic I can deal with so long as it is durable and lasts, chrome is a horrible crash protector anyway you look at it on a bike. I'd rather be able to avoid that accident then have a 700 bike lying onto of me wouldn't you?
That's why I have a Vrod.
I have nothing against jap bikes, as I learned to ride on a Ninja and my first cruiser was an m50 that I enjoyed modding. I also had standard bikes like the cb400 and cb750. Just as an example Have u ever sat on an M109?(764lbs curb weight) or an 1800VTX? those things are huge, bulky and heavy. Not all metric and jap bikes are lightweight. BTW, my response orig was directed at Zandar who obviously never owned a Harley, otherwise he would've been able to compare both. Oh and please dont turn this into a plastic debate, as harley also uses plastic/ fiberglass parts. My Vrod muscle has fiberglass fenders and airbox cover. Harley parts are just inherently more robust and solid hence the weight. ( you know what I'm talking about if you work on both types of bikes, American and metrics. Oh and BTW, my CHROME engine guard saved me from a lot of $$$ in damages and also saved my right leg when I went down due to sand on the road.

Last edited by knight'sSVX; 11-06-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added info