View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 09:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I've never done it before, but it took me about 8 or 9 hours to replace the seals, water pump, and seals. The first seal took the longest because I was trying to use a tiny hand drill and searching around the garage for something to pull the seal out with. Then I spent another hour or so to go buy the dremmel and other miscellaneous items. The other two seals only took about 10 minutes each, from drilling the hole to pulling it out. I did spend a fair amount of time cleaning the shafts and where the seals seat. Try not to destroy the seals when taking them out, you may need them later.

To install the new seals, I put a little bit of oil on the inner lip of the seal and slid it back on the shaft as far as it would go. Thinking back now, I probably should've put some oil on the shaft as well, since the process of sliding it back probably removed most of the oil from the seal. You won't be able to just push the seal in all the way. I'm sure there's some special tool to properly seat the seals, but I just smoothed out the face of the old seal (because of the screw hole), turned it around backwards so the face of the old seal was against the new one, put on the pulley and started tightening until I was satisfied that the seal was seated all the way. Then I removed the pulley and old seal and reinstalled the pulley.

Oh and incase I forgot to mention it, you will need a strap wrench or something to hold the pulleys still while removing the pulley bolts. A large breaker bar and someone to help wouldn't hurt either.

KuoH