Thread: The French?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 11:33 AM
lightning_8669

Refreshments?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
London's "Daily Mirror" is known as a strong left-wing, anti-US newspaper. So, Imagine my surprise when someone sent me this article from Tony Parsons.

]
As much has I've had my differences of opinion over the past couple of decades regarding the way our country is being run I must confess that there is no other nation on earth I'd prefer to call home. There is no other place on earth possessing America's uniqueness. I think it was an interview with James Baker I was watching when he said basically you could go live in Germany but could never become a German, you could go live in Japan and never become Japanese, you could go live in France and never become French. The United States of America is the only place on earth that if you want to you can actually become an "American".

I have my issues with my country. That's a good thing! How boring a place would this be if everyone saw things the same way? How would we ever grow if we weren't different? Everyone is free (at least for now) to express themselves without the threat of a bullet in the head for doing so.

And regardless of how far down range we get as a nation it is nice to hear someone say we really still have a lot to offer.

Thanks for the link, Randy, it's picked me up a bit on an otherwise unpleasant week.