View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Check it out: 2003 Passat W8 6-Speed Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Yes, but, be fair. I'm sure you are doing all the repairs and only including cost of parts. For many of us, it would be the labor that kills us. Second, you do a HUGE amount of highway driving. That helps drive down the cost per mile significantly as it is short city trips and age that kill a car. Third, out of everyone that complains about the reliability of their SVX or "newer" Subaru, I bet they are just as abusive if not more so than you are and probably don't maintain their cars as well as you do.

Surely you can't be serious with that.... Towing with a 1.8L turbo 4 cylinder, whether highway or not, is much, much, much harder than city driving with anything, especially when towing over 2 tons up mountains regularly. Of the 32k miles I've put on it, at least 20k have been with vehicle in tow. Not to mention the 1000-1500 miles I've put on it going through mud pits, hydro-locking the engine, driving down gravel and dirt "roads" at 70+mph.

If you truly think the driving it sees is easier than most cars on the road, I want what you're on.